Practitioners / Teachers » Specialist Autism Services
Specialist Autism Services
Telephone: 01274 789789
Enabling people with Asperger Syndrome and Autism
Our person centred provision examines closely the impact of Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASCs) upon the individual and devises strategies with them, providing the opportunity to engage with employment, education or independent living.
Our Autism specific approach has been a great success and it has made a real difference. Our York members have reflected on the service they have received and what they have gained as a result.
'I feel that SAS is stimulating and a progressive environment'
'I have gained greater confidence socially and I can now travel to SAS on my own'
'I have a better understanding of my condition now'
'I have become more self sufficient'
'I contacted an old friend, which I could not have done before'
'A highlight of my year was developing and achieving monthly goals'
It is our intention to further develop the services we offer in York. Our aim is to establish a robust ASC specific service that mirrors our other provisions across the Yorkshire Region, by extending our Learning Programme, offering an Outreach Service, an Employment Programme and ASC Awareness Training, whilst also taking referrals to our ASC Specific Counselling and Speech and Language Therapy Services.
How Specialist Autism Services plan to develop the York service:
- Involving those with ASC throughout the service development process
- Maintaining an empowering culture in an autism friendly environment
- Enabling progression through an Autism specific approach
- Being creative and imaginative in service delivery
- Recruiting, training and retaining a skilled and experienced multi - disciplinary staff team
- Placing service excellence above all other considerations
- Recognising, respecting and promoting the rights of adults with an ASC
- Increasing awareness of ASC throughout the community